Have you seen the Meryl Streep movie, “Julie & Julia”? Did you realize it’s based on a blog! You’ve probably noticed all the recent attention lately that Social Networking has been getting? It’s in the news, on TV, in print, in movies! You just can’t seem to get away from it!
Today, there are many ways to market your interior design business online, but don’t worry, you don’t have to become proficient with every single way that’s out there. Thank goodness, that would be so overwhelming! Today we’re going to touch on just one – blogging!
First and foremost I’m guessing you’re wondering why you need a blog if you already have a website? That was one of my questions too when I first got started. Here are 5 reasons to blog and how it can help grow your interior design business today.
1. You Look Marvelous – As an interior designer, you know everything you do is all about the way things look! Your blog is a great way to showcase your talent, your personality and design skills. Post before and after pictures, talk about projects you’re working on, post photos of cool products you like, give your opinion on current trends. It doesn’t have to be long and complicated every time, short and sweet is good too. Just be sure to mix things up.
2. Do-it-Yourself – You can update your blog without having to contact your web designer. It’s that easy! Many websites end up old and stale, kind of like an online brochure, never changing much because it’s a hassle to get the web designer to add pages, change the pictures, etc. But changing and updating your blog can be done in minutes! It grows, develops your personality and gets your customers coming back to your blog time and time again.
3. Customer Relationships – Establish a more personal relationship with your customers. Get to know them, and let them get to know you better. Blogs are a great way to start discussions, provide tips and insights or receive feedback from your customers and readers. Ask for their opinions. Listen to what they’re asking for and then provide it.
4. Become the Expert – Position yourself and your interior design business as a leader in your community. Are you a specialist in window treatments, kitchen design, high-end hotels, restaurants, etc? Use your blog to become the one person they call for those needs.
5. It’s So Easy – Setting up a blog is FR:EE and easy to do using the many tools out there. My two favorites for ease of use are WordPress.com and Blogspot.com.
Here’s a link to a website with some great videos and information on blogs. Also if you know you need to get started blogging, but are feeling overwhelmed at the thought of getting everything set up, here’s a link to a company that has an excellent service that will set your blog up for you, the right way. And they specialize in working with Interior Designers! I don’t get any affiliate commissions for referring them. I just really like their service and think they’re an excellent company!
PS: Make sure to send me an email with a link to your blog when you get it set up. I’d love to see it!